Follow by Email

Sunday, March 05, 2017

THE AVENGERS

Here is a gallery of Avengers comics I picked up after that very first Marvel comic that I ever tried ( #11 ) : -
I was a bit disappointed when I first bought this above issue, as four-fifths of the Avengers that I was now enjoying in Terrific had left, to be replaced by three reformed villains. And, at first I took a serious dislike to Hawkeye, who was always goading and undermining Cap. But, over the coming months, I watched the character mature into a hero who, not only could you totally rely on, but also, could trust with your life and I became proud of him!


In the above issue, the team decided that they were a bit deficient in the brute strength department, without Thor, Iron Man and Giant-Man, so they went looking for the Hulk, hoping to convince him to rejoin! ( Yay!! ) Unfortunately though, they never did find him and after defeating a strong adversary, the Minotaur, without any brute strength, then decided that they didn't need it after all!


Again, they managed to beat another big buggah, the Commissar, without any super-strength in the team!



Aha! - The team was getting to look a bit more like its old self now!
Now, if we could just get Thor and Iron Man back into the fold again!









Well, if we can't get Thor, - Hercules is good!





Uh-oh! Magneto wants Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch back again!


Finally, the last two originals are back in the comic, even if they aren't staying (yet!)




I had guessed who this Yellowjacket was! I thought, " One day he'll make his mind up just what he wants to call himself! "


Now, THIS is what I call a line-up! An absolute epic of a story in this first annual!


And how could they top that in the second annual?
Well the above "Clash" cover says it all!




4 comments:

  1. If you like The Avengers, JP, you're bound to love the Epic Collections of these strips. Nice cover images - where'd you get 'em? (I always like that Ultroids issue - Don Heck at his finest.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the early Avengers, approx. the first 100 issues. One day I will get them all again, but probably in Essentials for the cheapest.
      Yes, they are nice images, aren't they. At first I downloaded them all from GCD, but upon enlarging them, they were all out of focus, so I scrapped them all and tried Comic vine, where I was pleasantly surprised!

      Delete
  2. Changing the line-up in #16 seemed kind of odd. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But it worked. The personalities of Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye offered opportunities for internal conflict. Also, they didn't have their own solo strips in other titles, so there were fewer problems with cross-continuity. "How can Iron Man be in New York with the Avengers fighting the Masters of Evil, when, in Tales of Suspense, he's in Manchuria fighting Ultimo?"

    I read somewhere that Roy Thomas wanted to bring back Thor and Iron Man, but Stan still didn't want to get tangled up in cross-continuity problems, so Hercules was brought in instead.

    The ending of the Serpents story, revealing that the white supremacists were really communist agents provocateurs, seemed terribly clever to me when I was eight.

    In that "Ultroids" two-parter, they got captured by aliens who planned to drain their powers and transfer them to an android army. Black Widow forced the aliens to release them by threatening to kill their leader. When he said that everybody knew that the Avengers didn't kill, she pointed out that she was not officially a member of the Avengers. It was rare for Silver Age super-heroes or super-heroines to be that cold-blooded. Or that sensible.

    I always thought that the Red Guardian would have been a good recurring villain, as a Soviet counterpart to Captain America. But they killed him off in his first appearance. IMHO, a waste of potential. Even Titanium Man got a couple of rematches with Iron Man.

    I think Annual #1 took place between #44 and #45. It actually read like a Silver Age Justice League-type story. But that was OK with me. At the time, I was more of a DC fan anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning of the Marvel silver age, there were no continuity problems at all. Everything seemed to be very carefully worked out, so that there weren't any errors, but the more comics they published, the more difficult this became. So, it is perfectly understandable why they replaced Iron Man and Thor. But, when we get into the 70's, it sometimes seemed like there were 3 separate Spider-Men all at the same time! So, once continuity had gone out of the window, there was no problem with having Thor and.Iron Man in 2 different places in the same month!
      Yes, the Red Guardian was the Soviet equivalent of Cap, and I'd go so far as to say that he could have even had his own strip, as a back-up story in Cap's comic, fighting enemies of his country?

      Delete